As we head out for break, I wanted to pass along information students received today regarding Winter Break Reading Goals & expectations for reading. The link to the documents students received is on Google Classroom or in an email I sent to families on 12/13.
If your child was absent today, please make sure to print a copy for them or direct them to this handout so they can do the work on paper, if a printout of it is not accessible. Students will need the handout (or at least their answers/responses) on January 2 (or whenever they return to school). Students will need the data they collect to do the work we're doing when we return from break. Thank you, in advance, for reminding/insisting your child to READ over the break.
Students should also work on their BIRTY slideshow. Every time a student finishes a book, they do two things: 1). Record the book in their LAMPU, and 2). Add a slide to their BIRTY slideshow. Requirements for BIRTY are still on Google Classroom.
Students were reminded of the following for their BIRTY/Q2 Reading Grade for standard RL.8.10: By the end of the year, read and comprehend literature, including stories, dramas, and poems, at the high end of grades 6-8 text complexity band independently and proficiently.
[All book counts include The Outsiders] - See document on Google Classroom that outlines other requirements/guidelines for what constitutes "a book." which comes from our Read 25 Books Challenge.
- For an HP - student must read more than 5 books
- For a PR - student must read at least 5 books
- For a CP - student will have read 2 to 4 books
- For a DP - student will have read only 1 book; probably The Outsiders
- We will have 13 days remaining in the quarter. We will spend them focused on reading strategies, reading goals, BIRTY work, a Reading Ladder project, and quick write activities.
- The final day to turn in anything late/missing from The Outsiders unit is January 4.
- LAMPU due Friday, January 11. Will be checking for upkeep, recording of reading and writing pieces, and progress with Quick Writes
- BIRTY slideshows are due Wednesday, January 16.
- Reading Ladder project is due Friday, January 18. THIS IS THE FINAL DAY OF Q2.
In the spirit of da Vinci,