If you were absent, I will expect you to turn in your vocabulary the day you return to school.
"THE LOTTERY" by Shirley Jackson
- Pre-reading of short story: We discussed the importance of three elements in SETTING of a story:
- Location of a story (where)
- Time in which the story takes place (when)
- Social environment of the characters: manners, customs, moral values that may govern the society in the story
- Setting is the WHERE & WHEN, but it's also the emotional effect as these create mood and atmosphere in a story.
- We also discussed the meaning of SYMBOLISM. I asked students to pay particular attention to this as they read the short story today.
- Students read the story on COMMONLIT.ORG. If you were absent, please try to get this read while you're away.
- Students completed the GUIDED QUESTIONS and the ASSESSMENT for the story.
RYOT - with any time students had remaining today, they read their self-selected novel or worked on their LETTER-ESSAY.
TODAY WAS THE FINAL DAY OF OUR P:EAR DRIVE.
GRADED WORK WAS ALSO RETURNED TO STUDENTS.
- Have your RYOT book with you tomorrow.
- Finish up "The Lottery" at home if you did not in class or you were absent.
- Turn in any late or missing work by 12/15.
- LETTER-ESSAY check-in Tuesday, Dec. 12.
- LETTER-ESSAY DUE FRIDAY, DEC. 15, no excuses!!!